Corporate Taxes
International Taxes
Personal Taxes
Sales Taxes
Tax Basics
Tax Guides
Tax News
Tax Planning

T5013 Forms: A Comprehensive Guide for Canadian Partnerships

Learn all about the T5013 tax form in Canada, including its components, filing requirements, and deadlines. This comprehensive guide explains how to complete the form and provides essential tips for partnership tax reporting.
Analysis by
Nitin Ashok, CPA, CFA
December 11, 2023 11:59 AM
min read
T5013 Tax Form Guide for Canadian Partnerships
Table of Contents


    In Canada, partnerships use the T5013 tax form, also known as the Statement of Partnership Income, to report crucial financial information to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This form helps determine how the partnership's net income or loss will be distributed among its partners for inclusion on their individual tax returns. This article will guide you through the essentials of the T5013 form, from its components to filing requirements.

    What is T5013?

    The T5013 is a key component of the Partnership Information Return, comprising several sections and schedules. It is not used to calculate tax liability but provides a comprehensive overview of the partnership's financial status. The primary components of the partnership information return include:

    1. T5013-FIN (Partnership Financial Return): This is the foundational form that gathers basic information about the partnership, such as its name, address, and type.
    2. T5013 Schedules: Depending on the partnership's financial situation, various schedules must be completed. These include T5013 SCH 1 (Partnership’s Net Income or Loss), T5013 SCH 50 (Partner’s Ownership and Account Activity), T5013 SCH 100 (Balance Sheet Information), and T5013 SCH 125 (Income Statement Information), among others.
    3. T5013SUM (Summary of Partnership Income): This summarizes the information provided on the T5013 slips.

    Do I Need to File a Partnership Information Return (T5013)?

    Partnerships in Canada must file a partnership information return, including the T5013, under the following conditions:

    • The partnership conducts business in Canada.
    • The partnership has Canadian or foreign operations or investments.

    Specifically, a partnership must file if, at the end of its fiscal period, it exceeds either of these thresholds:

    • Revenues and expenses totaling more than $2 million.
    • Assets valued at more than $5 million (globally, including tangible and intangible assets).

    Additionally, partnerships that are tiered (with another partnership as a partner) or have a corporation or trust as a partner must file a partnership information return.

    Completing a Partnership Information Return (T5013)

    Here's a step-by-step guide to completing a partnership information return:

    Step 1: Fill out T5013-FIN

    • Provide basic partnership information, including trade name, address, partnership type, and partnership account number.
    • Determine which additional T5013 schedules are required based on your partnership's financial state.
    • Answer questions about your partnership's operations, finances, and taxes.

    Step 2: Fill out Relevant T5013 Schedules

    • Complete mandatory schedules, including T5013 SCH 1, T5013 SCH 50, T5013 SCH 100, T5013 SCH 125, T5013 SCH 140, and T5013 SCH 141.
    • Depending on your partnership's specifics, you may need to complete additional schedules.

    Step 3: Fill out a T5013 for Each Partner

    • Each partner must complete a separate T5013 form, specifying their share of income, losses, and other financial details.
    • Use fixed and generic boxes to provide information about your share of the partnership's financials.

    Step 4: Complete T5013SUM for the Partnership

    • T5013SUM summarizes the information on T5013 slips, including totals of allocated amounts to the partners.

    Obtaining a Partnership Account Number (RZ Number)

    A partnership account number, also known as an RZ account number, is essential for filing a partnership information return. You can obtain one through online registration, Form RC1, or by contacting the CRA.

    Filing the T5013

    Partnerships can file the T5013 forms online through My Business Account, or a representative can file on their behalf through Represent a Client. Other options include using the CRA's Web Forms application or tax preparation software. Mailing paper copies is discouraged but possible.

    Filing Deadline

    The filing deadline for the T5013 depends on the nature of the partners:

    • If all partners are individuals, the deadline is March 31st following the fiscal year end.
    • If all partners are corporations, it's five months after the fiscal year end.
    • For other cases, it's the earlier of March 31st or five months after the fiscal year end.

    Failure to file can result in penalties.

    Other Tax Forms for Partners

    Individual partners report T5013 information on their T1 General Income Tax and Benefit Return. Corporations report on their T2 Corporation Income Tax Return, and trusts on their T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return.

    In conclusion, understanding the T5013 and the Partnership Information Return is vital for partnerships in Canada to meet their tax reporting obligations accurately and on time. If you find these forms complex, consider seeking assistance from a tax professional or accountant to ensure compliance with CRA requirements.

    Share this article

    Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered professional advice. While we strive to ensure accuracy, accounting and financial regulations are subject to change, and it is recommended to consult a qualified professional before making any financial decisions. The use of does not create a client relationship, and we do not endorse or guarantee the accuracy of third-party content. We value confidentiality but cannot guarantee the security of transmitted information. The content on may change without notice. By using this website, you agree to these terms and conditions. For personalized advice, please contact us by filling our contact form or reach out to us at
    Thank you for visiting We hope you find our content helpful.

    Related articles

    Still not sure? Let us help you find answers.

      Contact Us
    Contact Us   ➙